FRANK OVAITT, APR, is President and CEO of the Institute for Public Relations, an independent foundation dedicated to the science beneath the art of public relations. The Institute is located at the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications.
Frank has served as Managing Director of Crossover International Inc., an independent firm providing communications management services to leading multinationals and young entrepreneurial companies. He is also an executive adviser to Enamics, Inc., a business technology management company in Stamford, CT, where he previously served as Chief Marketing Officer.
Prior to founding Crossover in 1995, Frank was Vice President-Corporate Affairs for MCI. He played a central role in reshaping the company’s image as it entered information services and global markets. He also led the communications effort for an industry coalition to lobby the U.S. Congress on the most sweeping telecom legislation in 60 years. Before joining MCI, Frank held a variety of executive positions with AT&T. As Public Relations Vice President-International, he directed all communications efforts outside the U.S., establishing a network of staff and agencies to represent the company in more than 40 countries. Other
assignments included: Director of College & University Relations, and Customer Communications Director for AT&T Bell Laboratories.
As Editorial Services Director for Monsanto, a leading chemical and biotechnology company, Frank was the chief writer responsible for award-winning shareowner publications, executive speeches, and issues management. He began his career with Southwestern Bell Corporation.
Frank holds a Bachelor of Journalism degree from the University of Missouri and an MBA from New York University. He has taught professional seminars on international public relations and delivered guest lectures at the University of Florida, the University of Maryland, the University of Missouri, and George Mason University. Current and former affiliations include:
· Board Member and Chair, Search and Nominating Committees, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology Partnership Fund
· Co-Chair, Campaign for Media Transparency, International Public Relations Association
· Accredited by the Public Relations Society of America; Chairman of the International Section
· Co-Chairman, Public Relations World Congress 2000
· Member, Arthur W. Page Society, dedicated to corporate communications issues
· Advisor, “News in the Next Century” project, Radio & TV News Directors Foundation
· Charter Board Member and Secretary, Global Public Affairs Institute